Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Staging CLL and Treatments

Writing about Art's leukemia is very difficult for me. The last couple of months I've not been able to talk about it without crying. Being a puddle of tears is not a good show of support for your husband. I am so thankful for my family and friends who listened to my fears and are helping me keep it together.

Art was diagnosed in March of 2009 with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). 
For the first 5 years I would ask how Art how his doctor's visits went. He would say just fine.  My white blood count is elevated and they are keeping an eye on it.  I knew things weren't fine. Over the last six months I've watched Art's health deteriorate.  

The end of May things took a turn. What started out as a slow growing Cancer turned aggressive. I started going with Art to see his Doctor. Art's spleen was enlarged and he very anemic. He had his first cross match and blood transfusion in June. 

July was spent having procedures done to find out what was causing the anemia. All the test came back normal. Art's health continued to decline. He was loosing weight, not feeling well and his energy level was at zero.

August 18th Art had a bone marrow biopsy. When the procedure was finished he was taken to the infusion center for a transfusion. We went back the next day for another one.

We waited anxiously for the results of the biopsy for staging and treatments options. That day came on September 11th. We were not ready for results or the treatments options that were presented.

Art's bone marrow is not producing healthy red blood cells.  It has a missing a component. Without this componet his blood is not getting enough oxygen and properly filtering through his spleen.  He is not a candidate for a bone marrow transplant.

Cancer is such a heart breaking word.  Now our jounery begins.  It's a ruff road we will be traveling. Chemotherapy begins September 30th.  Tuesday and Wednesday once a month for six months. The first treatment will be the hardest with the risk of a reaction to the drugs.

It won't be a cure but hopefully these drugs will slow the growth of the cancer.

Please keep Art in your prayers. 

Love and hugs,
Beverly


9 comments:

  1. You and Art have been in my thoughts for weeks. Sending the biggest hugs imaginable to both of you . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. prayers for you both. You too must eat healthy and rest. Stress is hard on the caregiver also. My husband had chemo also for non hodgkins lymphoma ten years ago. Results were good, but he ended up with nerve damage from one of the chemo drugs.
    Any time you want to talk, just give a holler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you both in my prayers. Miracles do happen. Hugs to you Bev...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping you both in my prayers. I agree with Lucia miracles do happen..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you Bev! You are an amazingly strong woman, but I know how hard it is to be strong all.the.time. I'm thinking of you and Art and sending healing thoughts and support your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev, You and Art will always be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bev, I am so sorry you are going thru this. I went thru this with my father in 1994 when treatment options weren't so good as they are now. Your husband sounds like a brave trooper who is trying to stay strong for you. It is a difficult disease as you well know with not a lot of good news coming from the doctors. My only advice to you is to take time for yourself when you can and cry when you need to because crying takes the pressure from the pain of what you are going thru even if it is only for a short time. Your husband sounds like an amazing man, enjoy your time with him as much as you can. I will keep you in my prayers and my heart. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending strength and healing hugs to both of you. I'll be thinking of you next Tuesday as you start the next part of this journey. Kathy

    ReplyDelete